Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

A very good read. You have to know it's Vonneguts processing of WW2 experiences.

Sometimes very wise sections. Sometimes very painful.
The abstract elements like time traveling are components you think about. About the deeper meaning. But everyone might come to different conclusions.

I thought: it was never sure he travelled in time... Of course it wasn't.

The last pages hurt much. As a German reader I knew a lot about the bombing of Dresden already. A relative of mine experienced DD, too, but from the distance. She was a refugee from the east, but was lucky her train stopped outside of Dresden. She said the whole sky was burning that night. She remembers every detail of that night.

Great anti-war-book. Alone this section, maybe unrecognized, but so meaningful against weapons/war:

"Robert Kennedy, whose summer home is eight miles from the home I live in all year round, was shot two nights ago. He died last night. So it goes.
Martin Luther King was shot a month ago. He died, too. So it goes.
And every day my Government gives me a count of corpses created by military science in Vietnam. So it goes.
My father died many years ago now - of natural causes. So it goes. He was a sweet man. He was a gun nut, too. He left me his guns. They rust."